West Herr Corporate History
In 1950, Joseph Herr Jr. and Harold West set up shop under a tent near the corner of Clark Street and McKinley Parkway in Hamburg, NY. Their goal: to sell Ford vehicles to the Hamburg community.
The dealership soon moved to a more permanent location down the road on Clark near Buffalo Street. They remained there until 1966, when they opened the doors at 5025 Camp Road in Hamburg where it remains to this day.
South Buffalonian Brad Hafner joined as a salesman in March of 1959. Brad's dedication and creativity helped the business boom. He became a partner in 1970, sole owner in 1975 and chairman in 1997.
In 1975, Hamburg native Scott Bieler joined the Sales Team at West Herr Ford. He went on to become number 1 Ford salesperson in New York State. Scott was named partner in 1983, president in 1997 and became majority owner in 2000.
We have built our reputation on excellence, customer satisfaction and understanding our roots. All our owners and partners live in Western New York and actively manage the 18 locations on a daily basis.
At West Herr, we pride ourselves on dealing fairly and honestly with our customers and employees. This philosophy is shared throughout all levels of our organization and is the key to our success. In 2011, we serviced nearly 300,000 vehicles and sold or leased more than 31,000 new and used vehicles. As a result, we are consistently ranked among the top dealers in the nation in sales volume. Our customer and employee satisfaction efforts have earned us countless awards and recognition, including the Business First “Best Places to Work in Buffalo” for eight years. Employing over 1400 Western New Yorkers, West Herr is the number one largest automotive group in New York State.
News and Awards
West Herr is continuously recognized, by nearly every major vehicle manufacturer we represent, for the quality of service our staff delivers to our customers. These achievements are attributed to the high level of dedication put forth daily by our team.
- With over 1,400 employees in the Western New York area, the West Herr Automotive Group is now the largest Automotive dealer group in New York State, selling over 34,000 new and used vehicles annually.
- The West Herr Automotive Group received a five time winner of the Better Business Bureau’s Torch Award for Marketplace Ethics. This award is given for excellence in marketplace ethics and commitment to customer satisfaction, and is rarely given to the same organization twice. West Herr is the only company in the nation to have received this prestigious award five times, which is the maximum number allowed by BBB.
- The West Herr Auto Group has earned the distinction of being the Best Place to Work in WNY for nine years in a row by Business First in the category of companies with 501 and more employees. Business First asked the employees to identify the companies that are succeeding in retaining and recruiting good people and making them feel engaged in their work.
- In May 2012 West Herr opened West Herr Chevrolet in Williamsville, our 3rd Chevy dealership in the Buffalo Area. With so many Chevrolet and Saturn customers from the north towns, we feel this will provide a closer location to service their vehicles.
- In Early 2012 completed the all new Mercedes-Benz of Rochester building. An all new state of the art German design with a style like no other.
- 2012 Sprinter Vans of Rochester opened in our new Mercedes-Benz location.
- In 2010 West Herr expanded to the Rochester Market, with the addition of BMW of Rochester and Mercedes-Benz of Rochester.
- According to Automotive News, West Herr is the 23st largest dealer group in the nation for new vehicle sales and 16th in the nation for new and used combined.
- The West Herr Automotive Group was the recipient of the 2008 Buffalo Niagara Business Ethics Award in the large business category. Sponsored by the Buffalo Chapter, Society of Financial Service Professionals, these annual awards recognize companies that demonstrate a strong commitment to ethical business practices in their everyday operations and in response to crises and challenges.
- President Scott Bieler was named Executive of the Year at the Buffalo Niagara Sales and Marketing Executives (BNSME) awards. Sales consultants Jeffrey Wabick and Tom Bull were also honored by the BNSME.
- West Herr Toyota in Orchard Park won the Parts and Service Excellence award for 2011
- West Herr Honda in Lockport won the Honda President’s Award in just their second year of operation, a rare feat in the industry. The award criteria evaluates performance based on customer treatment, sales, and training.
- General Motors Corporation awarded the Mark of Excellence Award to West Herr Chevrolet of Hamburg and West Herr Chevrolet of Orchard Park for their superior performance in overall customer satisfaction and sales. Of the approximately 4,300 Chevrolet dealerships nationwide, only 4% met the stringent requirements to receive this honor.
- West Herr Jaguar has received the Pride of Jaguar in 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003, 2004 and 2005, and 2006. The Pride of Jaguar is based on customer care, sales and marketing and business management.
- West Herr Ford of Hamburg and West Herr Ford Lincoln in Amherst were both awarded the 2012 President’s Award, presented by Ford Motor Company in recognition of outstanding customer satisfaction through progressive management, dedicated employees, and high standards of operational excellence. Ford Hamburg has won the award 21 times, Ford Lincoln Mercury has won 12 times. This award is given to only the top 2% of dealerships in the country.
- West Herr Ford of Hamburg and West Herr Ford Lincoln Mercury of Amherst both have achieved Ford Motor Company’s Blue Oval Certification. Blue Oval Certification is recognition of the high level of customer satisfaction achieved by dealerships with every purchase, lease and service experience.
- West Herr Subaru has achieved the Subaru Stellar Performer Award in 2003, 2004, 2005 and again in 2006. This process recognizes those dealerships that have achieved a high level of customer satisfaction through continually striving to improve dealership processes, and is granted to only a few dealerships nationwide.